From history of cities and villages (30.5.1997)
Lobkovice: A brief history
The area in which Lobkovice is located, today part of Neratovice, was already inhabited by Palaeolithic people ten thousand years ago, in particular next to the gentler fords over the river Labe.
During the last thousand years B.C. German and Celtic tribes were succeeded by Slavs, the Pšovan tribe having had to fight over this area with Czechs and Zlícans.
Indeed, Lobkovice is among the oldest of Czech villages, already being mentioned by Václav Hájek from Libocany in the times of Saint Wenceslav and Saint Albert. For instance, the church of "Nanebevzetí P.Marie" originated in the 14th century (in 1390 the knight Jan Cuch contributed to the erection of its’ altar to Saint Catherine).
In the second half of the 14th Century Lobkovice belonged to Mikuláš Cotr, a citizen of Prague, and in 1377 the estate became the property of J. Cucha of Zásada, who built a new weir on the border between his own and neighbouring episcopal land in Neratovice: This resulted in a dispute with bishop Jan of Jenštejn, and ended in a violent quarrel even involving the Czech king.
Lobkovice was acquired by Mikuláš Chudý of Újezd, the founder of the House of Lobkovicz, in 1409, and stayed in the family until the nineteenth century, when it was bought by the Prague attorney Dr. Jan Mechura, father-in-law of the historian František Palacký, who regularly stayed, wrote and died there (in 1876). A few years later, prince Moric of Lobkovice reacquired the family seat.
The thirty years’ war was probably, until 1948, the blackest period for the village of Lobkovice and especially its’ castle, which were regularly plundered and burned, the last occurrence being on May 26th, 1639, when Swedish and Saxon soldiers battled in the vicinity. Significantly, the local tax register states that in 1638 only one farmer and two cottagers remained on the estate, where once there had been a school, castle pub and a large flock of sheep.
Thus Lobkovice castle today, completely reconstructed in 1679 on a commission of prince Ferdinand August to the Italian Antonio de la Porta, differs vastly from the original fortress on the Elbes’ left bank.
In the times after the Battle of White Mountain the whole area became a centre of counter-reform activities. The area stooped in stagnation and only very slowly, during the century, did the local economy start showing signs of life: In 1848 32 hearths sheltered 189 souls in Lobkovice.
The fundamental modern Czech historian and philosopher František Palacký created his seminal work "The history of Czech nation in Czechland and Moravia” in Lobkovice, and this founding father of the new Czechoslovakia was laid to eternal rest in the Lobkovice graveyard on May 31st, 1876.
In 1900, the village of Lobkovice numbered 40 homes and 335 inhabitants. Among local industries one can mention the brewery in the castles’ farm buildings, and the windmill owned by Bohdan Kasper (where there was also a factory for carbide lime). Construction of the new school was also started in April 1900, (in bolshevik times the” property” of the school district Lobkovice-Mlékojedy-Neratovice), which started on the 5th of November of the same year. In July 1901 a new railway station was built on the line Brandýs nad Labem - Neratovice: Until then passengers from Lobkovice had to walk to and from the nearest station, Jirice, which was 3 kilometres away.
The First World War took a sad toll of 15 lives from the community of Lobkovice.
The real development of the town started after the formation of the independent Czechoslovak Republic. In June 1923 massive regulative work began on the Labe, including straightening its’ course by eliminating meanders, with the costs taken care of by the firm Kress. At the same time the towns’ voluntary fire service was established, and the following year, on 13th July 1924, a plaque was unveiled honouring František Palacký. In 1929 Prague CKD built a collapsible weir on the Labe, and in November of the same year the electrification of the town was finished. The first steamboat had already stopped at Lobkovice in June 1925.
The “nationalisation” of property and “socialisation” of the village after 1948 unfolded according to orthodox Marxist planning: In 1960, during the reorganisation of districts, Lobkovice was merged with Neratovice.
Today Lobkovice is a part of the city of Neratovice, but quite far from being an unimportant one. For instance there are a kindergarten and both fire and railway stations. The rightful owners of the castle, the mill and other businesses and homes who survived the crimes, depredations and physical assaults of the communists are now trying to slowly piece back and reconstruct what still can be saved.
Thank you for your interest and support.
History of Lobkovice by F. Palacky
Lobkovice, zámek na brehu Labe
Kde domov muj?
www.lobkovi.cz is under construction